The St. Wencesla´s Cathedral
Founded during Charles´IV rule in 1344 when the Castle became the emperor´s residence and when Prague´s archbishopric was constituted during the same year.
First stage of works was in progress under the guidence of French architect Matyáš of Arras (till 1352) then Petr Parkléř of Gmund and his sons had continued on the construction until 1406. The cathedral´s plastic decoration was the work of Parkléř´s smelting works from 1360 till the beginning of 15th century.
The construction was interupted by the Hussite revolution in 15 th century when eastern side of the cathedral was closed by a provisional wall. Western part of the cathedral started to be build in 1873 and was completed in on the occasion of St. Wencesla´s milenium in 1929. The cathedral´s most significant chapel is St. Wencesla´s chapel where the coronation jewels are placed - a crown from 14th century, a sword from the middle of 14th century, a sceptre and an apple from the first half of 16th century, a syque and stoles form 18th century.
LAST MODIFY: 2, 10.03.2005 v 13:34 hodin